Scholarships in the Arts: Shoreline’s Top Talent Awards
Juried High School Competition for Juniors and Seniors
*DEADLINE EXTENDED TO DECEMBER 19*
This program has been presented by Shoreline Arts Alliance annually since 1981 in support of arts education and to recognize the talents of young artists in our communities. Each year high school juniors and seniors are invited to apply for this Scholarship in the Arts program in one or more art disciplines. These include: Creative Writing, Dance, Instrumental Music, Vocal Music, Theatre and Visual Arts. Cash awards of $1,000 are offered to the winner in each of the disciplines at the judges’ discretion. In addition, the winner and a special recognition awardee in each discipline are provided with a professional mentorship. Shoreline Arts Alliance seeks opportunities throughout the year to present and promote our awardees.
Live auditions are held for Dance, Instrumental and Vocal Music and Theatre. Portfolios are submitted for Creative Writing and Visual Arts. All judges are professionals in the discipline they represent.
How does Shoreline’s Top Talent benefit the artist?
- Students must prepare an application by a deadline which includes essays identifying goals and community involvement.
- Students must prepare for a live audition in the performing arts or prepare a portfolio for Creative Writing and Visual Arts before a judging panel of professionals.
- Performing artists in the music and musical theatre categories need to prepare to audition with an accompanist. Some exceptions apply.
- Applicants will receive a critique on their performance or submitted works at the time of audition or portfolio review.
- Winners will receive a cash award of $1,000.00
- Winners and special recognition awardees in each category are offered professional mentors to provide support, insight and guidance in their specific art discipline.
- Winners and special recognition awardees will be invited to perform at a Spring Showcase/Awards Reception.
- Shoreline Arts Alliance will seek opportunities to have awardees perform or present as their schedule permits.
- Shoreline Arts Alliance continues to recognize achievements of awardees throughout college and beyond.
How does Shoreline’s Top Talent benefit the community?
- Community is invited to celebrate the gifts of talented/passionate high school students at Spring Showcase/Awards Reception.
- Community can follow career path of many of the award winners through college and beyond.
- Many of these talented artists return to their communities and “give back” through their art.
- The arts programming at the participating high schools and community programs are highlighted and bring recognition to the region.
How can you help?
- Volunteer to assist during auditions and portfolio reviews or at the Awards Reception.
- If you are an artist volunteer to be a Juror in your specific category.
- Be a Sponsor or Donor of the Scholarships in the Arts Program.
- Provide opportunities to feature these talented artists at an event.
- Attend performances, readings or exhibitions of the award winners
GDE Error: Error retrieving file - if necessary turn off error checking (404:Not Found)
- The completed application must be POSTMARKED by December 19th.
- Application Fee: $25 per application. You may apply in more than 1 category. Complete application and fee are required for each submission. Cash or checks made payable to Shoreline Arts Alliance are acceptable. Fee is for administrative overhead and is nonrefundable. If application fee is a hardship contact the office and arrangements will be made.
Awards and Reception
- Tuesday, April 24, 2018
- 7 PM at Evergreen Woods, 88 Notch Hill Rd., Branford, CT.
- Click here for more awards and reception information.