Now in its 32nd Year, Future Choices recognizes and celebrates the talent and passion of our region’s high school students. Open to grades 9 through 12, this competition and exhibition is juried by a panel of professionals in art. Students juried into the show have their work on display at the Sill House Gallery of the Lyme Academy College of Fine Arts for three weeks. Categories that are judged are: Ceramics, Drawing, Mixed Media, Painting, Pastels, Photography, Prints, Sculpture and Video.
How does Future Choices benefit the artist?
- Work is reviewed by a panel of professionals in the field of art.
- Work juried into the show is exhibited in professional gallery space at Lyme Academy College of Fine Arts.
- Students are welcomed and encouraged to be part of the committee to assist with outreach, submissions, hanging, reception and de-installation.
- Exhibition is open to the public for three-weeks, six days per week.
- Catalog is produced with a complete listing of artwork, students, high school, grade, teacher.
- Artists’ Reception is hosted by SAA for students, family members and teachers.
- Cash Awards of nearly $3000 are awarded.
- Scholarships and Continuing Education awards of over $500,000 are presented by Lyme Academy College of Fine Arts.
- Exhibition is promoted through print and social media.
How does Future Choices benefit the community?
- Community is invited to celebrate the gifts of talented/passionate high school students.
- Exhibition is free.
- Some artwork is for sale at affordable prices.
- High Schools are recognized and rewarded for efforts to keep the arts a vibrant part of curriculum
Submission of Work
- Submission Dates: February 5,6,7, 2018 from 2:30pm – 5pm (In case of snow we will add February 8 and 9 if needed). All work must be delivered during these times either by the artist, a teacher or a responsible person as designated by the artist unless prior arrangements have been made with the office (See contact information below).
- Submission Fee: $5 per piece – Maximum of three pieces per student. Cash or checks made payable to Shoreline Arts Alliance are acceptable.
- Exhibition: February 14 – March 6 10am – 4pm, Monday through Saturday (No Sunday Hours)
- Awards Reception: Sunday, February 25, 3pm – 5pm (If snow it will be March 4, 3pm – 5pm).
How can you help?
- Volunteer for submissions, installation, de-installation, reception.
- If you are an artist volunteer to be a Juror.
- Sponsor/Memorial Gift.
- Purchase Work for Sale.
- Make a gift
2017 Award Winners by Category:
Best in Show: William Bennet – Daniel Hand High School (Photography)
First Place: Julia Hall – Haddam/Killingworth High School
Second Place: Jessica Haigis – Daniel Hand High School
Third Place: Alex Figuenick – Valley Regional High School
Second Place: Emily Archer – Lyme/Old Lyme High School
Third Place: Skyelar Shaw – Lyme Old Lyme High School
First Place: Adriana Wimler – Coginchaug Regional High School
First Place: Claudia Mergy – Lyme Old Lyme High School
Second Place: Adriana Wimler – Coginchaug Regional High School
Third Place: Skyelar Shaw – Lyme/Old Lyme High School
First Place: Catherine Valloso – Sacred Heart Academy
Second Place: Alyssa Sheltra -Haddam/Killingworth High School
Third Place: Adriana Wimler -Coginchaug Regional High School
First Place: Holly Gilbert – Daniel Hand High School
Second Place: G. Thomas Barlow – Nathan Hale Ray High School
Third Place: Kasia McPherson – Daniel Hand High School
First Place: Emily Archer – Lyme/Old Lyme High School
Second Place: Jason Noel – Daniel Hand High School
Third Place: Kate Klein – Daniel Hand High School
First Place: Charlie Houghton – Valley Regional High School
Second Place: Kevin Calderon – Valley Regional High School, Katelyn Mash – Valley Regional High School, Mahi Shah – Valley Regional High School, Chris Howekk – Valley Regional High School
Third Place: Carly Tortora – Guilford High School
First Place: Aiden Hughes – Daniel Hand High School
Second Place: James Knowlton – Williams School, Devin Shah – Williams School
Third Place: Jack Brady – Daniel Hand High School
Lyme Academy College of Fine Arts Awards:
Jurors for 2017:
Christian Simmons, Motion Graphics Artists & Professional Video Editor, East Haven, CT